Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Byronnnnn



Friday June 12-Monday June 15

Byron Baaaay! One of the "cruiseiest" places in Oz and a big spot for backpackers. People sit around and play the bongos at sunset- that's the kind of place it is. I'd heard from a few people that the place was overrated but I think they were sadly mistaken- it is totally amazing! It is yet another town along the beach but it is a fantastic beach- soft white sand, clear turquoise water, it looks exactly like the postcards!

Making the place even better is the accommodation we've landed in. Going on the recommendation of a couple of girls we met in Sydney, Hannah and I check into the Middle Reef which is a converted house instead of a big youth hostel. It has a great kitchen (with an oven! Yay!) and a beautiful deck that gets lots of morning sun. I've met some really nice people and as usual it's a big European mix- and with my friend Cori from university out for the weekend we represented the US all the way!

Life in Byron centers around the ocean and what better way to check it out than actually get in the water?! With minimal convincing I got both Cori and Hannah to take a surfing lesson with me on Saturday. It was so Australian it was unbelievable- we went out with Mojo surf company with an instructor called Wapu or Wapsy. They piled us into a van and drove is about 15 min south to a place called Lennox Head where the surf has been better and we got a lesson on ocean safety and rips and waves (good stuff to know before careening into the water) then after going over a few techniques we were pretty much set free! It was a total rush- I was able to catch a good number of waves on my own (we were on huge beginner longboards) and had some pretty good falls and crashes. I don't think I've ever had so much salt water up my nose! I went out a second time on Saturday and got to try a slightly smaller board which was tougher but still a lot of fun. There were pelicans on the beach and dolphins further our in the water! I kept thinking about the turtle from Finding Nemo- "Righteous! Righteous!"

Cori stayed with us for two nights and we had a lot of fun checking out the local spots and met all sorts of characters. It's been lovely and warm during the day but freezing at night! Today was rainy but I an hoping tomorrow it will clear up enough so I can lay on the beach all day and work on my tan before heading north to Brisbane where I'll meet up with a few more friends. Tough day I know:)

No comments:

Post a Comment