Monday, July 11, 2011

Strangers and Friends

One of the reasons I love traveling is that I love the people I meet along the way. It is a mish mash of adventurous spirits, soul searchers, wanderers from so many different places with hugely different backgrounds but we all have so many things in common. We are HERE. Everyone loves to share where they have been, where they might be going, collect ideas for the Next Trip. I bumped into a girl I met in Peru last year. She hiked the Colca Canyon at the same time and partook in the great pizza debacle of 2010. I kept looking at her when I arrived at the hostel until I could finally place her, and once I said- were you in Peru last year? she immediately remembered me as well. What a small world.

In a totally unrelated story- the day before I left Utila I borrowed 80 lempiras from Lacey to get our giffidy shirts (but that's another story). I forgot to give it to her, and felt really guilty when I realized on the bus to San Pedro. While it is less than $5, it was still a substantial sum of money. That night I met a guy at the hostel who was traveling to Utila the following morning. We hung out that evening and shared a cab to the bus terminal at 5 the next morning. Before he left I asked him if he would take the money and deliver it to Lacey at the dive shop. He seemed trustworthy enough, but really, I didn´t know his last name, hadn´t exchanged emails, there was nothing to ever find him and make him feel guilty in the slightest if he didn´t. But he promised he would, and I believed him. A couple of days later I got a message from Lacey that a random guy had stopped by straight off the ferry looking for her with money from me. It is a small story, but it actually made me quite happy. It is nice to remember there really are a lot of honest people out there who will do the right, kind thing. So thanks, Ori, for the good deed.

No comments:

Post a Comment