Thursday, June 16, 2011

Island Time



I've been on Utila for a week now, and I'm not entirely sure where all that time has gone! It is so hot and humid, and life moves pretty slowly. My biggest decisions so far have been whether I am motivated enough to walk to the beach (about 15 min away) or just nap in a hammock in the shade at the dive shop. I've been snorkeling a bit and on a couple of dives, but the wind has picked up and I got sea sick the last time I went out, so I am hoping things calm down before I start doing my advanced open water course tomorrow :-/

I went on a day trip to Water Cay, a small uninhabited island about 30 minutes away from Utila. There were about 20 of us who went out together, and it was a wonderful day sitting on the beach, lounging in the water, and hanging out under shady palm trees. The boat ride back was a pretty wild ride. Our captain, John Wayne (love the name!) told us to "fasten our seat belts and say our prayers" but expertly drove the Luna back, and it was like a crazy version of Splash Mountain. Half the people were wearing their scuba masks, and absolutely everything got soaked.
I've also been spending some quality time with Ruckus, Caitlin's dog. She is super sweet, if a little bit special. She loyally follows Caitlin absolutely everywhere she goes, including behind the bar when she is working. Ruckus loves the beach and playing with other dogs.

The nightlife on the island is pretty great, as is to be expected. Unfortunately the Honduran tax enforcement arrived the same day as me, and have since shut down about 80% of the businesses here for not paying their taxes on time. They put giant yellow signs across the closed doors and windows that say "I BROKE THE LAW" or "I DID NOT PAY MY TAXES". It is slightly humorous, but makes for slim pickings for going out to eat or drink. Everything should be back open Saturday, at which point I can go to the internet place and upload photos!!

No comments:

Post a Comment